An eagerly anticipated land train will pulled out of its station this Easter, making it Plymouth’s newest tourist attraction.
The Mayflower Express has begun taking passengers around the Waterfront giving families and tourists a great way to see the best of Britain’s Ocean City and its landmarks, and for residents to enjoy making the most of the fantastic Waterfront area.
The route will provide an essential connection between the Waterfront and City Centre, making a loop from the Plymouth Guildhall on Royal Parade to the Mayflower Steps on the Barbican, West Hoe, and then back into the City Centre and will take around 40 minutes to complete its route. Passengers can hop on and off as they like, enabling them to make the most of the journey and its various destinations. Visitors to Sutton Harbour and the Barbican will only have a short walk to get the train.
Owner Graham Pearce set up Plymouth Land Trains after many years of planning and fundraising, and now - thanks to the support of local businesses and individuals, it will finally begin its journey.
There are many things still in progress, with the publishing of the route, the audio commentary system, timetables, ticket system and modifications to accommodate disabled riders’ wheelchairs, so Graham has set up a gofundme page which will pay for the much needed finishing touches to get the Mayflower Express ‘top link’! Visit: www.gofundme.com/landtrain The website is also still in progress.
If you want to make the most of this opportunity for marketing your business, then Claire Easson-Bassett from Mackerel Sky Events has given 5 top tips, following her Plymouth Waterfront Partnership funded BID business seminars at The Duke of Cornwall in which she encouraged businesses to engage with city events in their marketing to increase footfall to their own business and to the Waterfront in general.
1. Promote the Land Train on your social media and suggest that your customers could use it to get to you; include the Land Train on your website map to help people find you
2. Invite your customers and clients to take a selfie on the Land Train and post on your facebook, perhaps to win a prize or get a special offer
3. Create a discount offer for customers who use the Land Train
4. Run a giveaway for people using the Land Train, maybe give away cookies or samplers...
5. Connect with the train theme and use it in your promotional activity, perhaps run activity or events in your premises that connects and will attract your target customers
Stay up to date on the latest developments with the Land Train,
follow it on Facebook: Plymouth Land Train